February 6th, 2018 by MichiganLiving 5 Easy Tips to Remodel an Old House on a Budget

Remodeling an old house can be a tough challenge. Because of its old structure, certain parts or areas might need costly repairs.

If you live in a pretty old house but don’t have the budget to remodel it completely, here are few things that you can do for the meantime.

Old HouseThorough cleaning

Clean your home from floor to ceiling. Remove any stubborn dust and dirt build up that you’ll notice. Clean up the windows, light fixtures and any other surfaces around your home. A clean home can give you a clear look on what needs to be replaced or repaired immediately.

Light fixtures

Replacing old light fixtures can give your home an updated look. Replace every light bulb/lamp with energy saving ones. Take out those bulky fixtures and replace them with smaller yet brighter lamps. If you are feeling a bit creative, there are Pinterest boards and YouTube videos that can give you some ideas.

Paint up

A fresh coat of paint can instantly give your old house a brand new look and feel. It’s one of the best and cheapest ways to upgrade any home with significant change. Just make sure that the paint (color and texture) that you’ll use is suitable enough for your home’s structure.

Kitchen update

Replace those old drawer pulls, cabinet handles and other stuff that can be upgraded or replaced. You can also apply a fresh coat of paint at your kitchen wall and cabinet. Upgrading your sink and faucet may cost you a bit but if you have a budget, go for it as it can certainly give your kitchen a new feel.

Clean the floor thoroughly. Make sure it’s spotless and free from dirt and any kind of debris. Carpet and rugs can also give your floor a fresh new look so if you have a budget, buy some cheap ones and strategically place them all over your home.

These tips may sound so simple and easy. But I tell you this, their effect, if done collectively, can certainly bring out the best in your old home.

11 responses to “5 Easy Tips to Remodel an Old House on a Budget”

1. Liz says:

The person who lived in my condo before me did some major remodeling, I think, which has been nice for me.

2. Gladys parker says:

Great info as always! I have a real old house that needs so many repairs but, until I can afford that your tips will help me feel better. The new rugs, paint and lighting should make a huge difference.

3. Victoria Heckstall says:

Thank-you so much for posting this! Just what I needed today. I am actually planning to have a small house renovation. This is a give me so many guides.

4. Drake Conan says:

I never tried remodeling our old house but it looks like a great idea. Must try this tips.

5. We did the hardwood floors in our home. It was important to me that all of the looks look consistent. When we moved in there were about 5 different flooring options on the main level.

6. Kendra says:

These tips are great! I’ve always believed that a fresh coat of paint can liven any room up!

7. Elizabeth O says:

I got some great inspiration from this post, I feel like my home needs a spruce up so I got some great budget friendly ideas!

8. Heather says:

They have a lot of history, so I think it’s great to renovate them and keep them. Don’t demolish them.

9. Mary says:

Your tips came at the perfect time I’ll be remodeling several rooms in my home very soon.

10. Old houses have so much character, but they can also be a lot of work to update/rehab. Starting small with things like paint, light fixtures, and cabinets doors/handles is a great idea. You can also tackle larger projects later.

11. Wendy Polisi says:

Light fixtures are a great first step. It helps you see the entire house in a new light!