November 13th, 2017 by MichiganLiving 18 Historic Homes In Ann Arbor Michigan

There are lots of wonderful places and beautiful attractions around Ann Arbor. The bustling city is the home of many historic buildings and architecture that you can’t find anywhere else. Below is a list of historic homes in Ann Arbor that are listed at the National Register of Historic Places. Check them out and be amazed by their uniqueness and picturesque traits.

William Anderson House

Built in c. 1853 and significant for fine details of its Greek Revival styling, although it also has elements more common to the Gothic Revival. Home of Washtenaw’s first sheriff (1835-39).

William Anderson House

Image By Andrew Jameson (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 or GFDL], via Wikimedia Commons

Bell-Spalding House

Bell-Spalding House

Henry Bennett House

Henry Bennett House

Delta Upsilon Fraternity House

Delta Upsilon Fraternity House

William B. and Mary Shuford Palmer House

The William B. and Mary Shuford Palmer House is a multilevel brick and cypress late period Frank Lloyd Wright house, the plan and design of which is based on the equilateral triangle. The house is sheltered by a long broad hipped roof with deep overhangs; a cantilever extending over the terrace is the most dramatic feature of the house. The home was designed in 1952 for William Palmer, an economics professor at the University of Michigan, and his wife Mary.

William B. and Mary Shuford Palmer House

Thomas Earl House

Thomas Earl House

Henry S. Frieze House

Henry S. Frieze House

Arnold and Gertrude Goss House

Arnold and Gertrude Goss House

Dr. Benajah Ticknor House

The Benajah Ticknor House (now the Cobblestone Farm and Museum) is an 1844 cobblestone farmhouse built by Dr. Benajah Ticknor, a naval surgeon. The surrounding area was farmed from 1824 until 1955, and in 1972 the city of Ann Arbor turned it into a museum.

Dr. Benajah Ticknor House

Jacob Hoffstetter House

Jacob Hoffstetter House

Kellogg-Warden House

Kellogg-Warden House

Floyd R. Mechem House

Floyd R. Mechem House

Orrin White House

The Orrin White House is a two-story frame house covered with cobblestones, set in a herringbone pattern on the front facade. It was between 1836 and 1840 by Orrin and Ann White, and is still used as a private residence.

Orrin White House

Robert C. and Bettie J. (Sponseller) Metcalf House

Robert C. and Bettie J. (Sponseller) Metcalf House

Image By Andrew Jameson (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

William and Elizabeth (Bodanzky) Muschenheim House

William and Elizabeth (Bodanzky) Muschenheim House

Image By Andrew Jameson (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Newberry Hall

Newberry Hall

Image By Dave Parker (Own work) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

President’s House, University Of Michigan

President's House, University Of Michigan

Image By Dave Parker (Own work) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Judge Robert S. Wilson House

The Judge Robert S. Wilson House, a two-story Greek Revival structure built in approximately 1839, is an outstanding specimen of classical design. The front facade boasts a full-width portico with Ionic fluted shaft columns, and an entryway framed by matching pilasters.

Judge Robert S. Wilson House

24 responses to “18 Historic Homes In Ann Arbor Michigan”

What a fun list. I love driving through Ann arbor. It’s been a few years since I’ve taken the time to sight see. This post makes me want to get out there and do it again.

2. MarciaF says:

When I lived in Ann Arbor for school I didn’t have a car so I only saw the President’s House. I’ve gone back many times though and seen some, though not enough obviously, of the others. Ann Arbor is a wonderful place to live and visit.

3. Kelly Reci says:

I live each house detaile. Historic House always have the timeless beauty. This is the best place to live in.

4. Tim B says:

There is so much great architecture in Ann Arbor! If my wife and I had job that were in easy commute we’d love to live there!

5. Those are all so lovely to look at and I’m sure they’re even lovelier in person! I just love how well maintained each of the houses are!

6. Julie Syl says:

Wow!! I really love the architecture of these houses, especially in Newberry Hall. I really love how they preserved the old houses like these.

7. Becki says:

Beautiful houses. Makes me miss living closer to Ann Arbor. Thanks for sharing!

8. Cindy Gordon says:

Those are some fine looking houses! They are all so full of history too.

9. Our Family World says:

Wow. These houses are really well maintained, considering the fact that some of them were built in the 1800s! Amazing! I hope to be able to visit Ann Arbor Michigan someday and see these historical houses myself.

10. Heather says:

Such lovely homes! I live in a 98-year-old home, and adore its character. Not so much its plumbing or electrical though!

11. Blair villanueva says:

You are so lucky to visit these historical homes. And they managed to preserved it through the years. That is treasure!

12. They are so lovelyyy! I love the American styled homes.. I could forever live in one… My favorites are the Thomas Earl one the Floyd R. Mechem one and Henry S. Frieze one.. they are amaaazing!

13. I have family that lives near Ann Harbor and it is such a beautiful area. Next time we go up and visit, I will have to check out these gorgeous homes.

14. I love historical landmarks and homes. I live in the first city in the United States and grew up with so much history and developed a real appreciation for it. It’s interesting to know the history of these places.

15. they are all so unique! what a cool city… i’d love to just walk by

16. Adaleta says:

Wow those homes really are stunning, I just adore seeing these heritage homes, the character is so beautiful and I love the brick homes

17. Crystal says:

These are some lovely homes that you have found. I could really see myself living in one of these. LOL!

18. Becky Willis says:

I just love these homes you have spotlighted. I have a couple favorites especially the one with the brick. There is just something about looking at houses that always makes me wonder what they look like on the inside. Or what they would be like to live in.

19. I could totally picture myself living in some of these. I love the look of historical homes and buildings in general.

20. Stephanie Jnote says:

I like the Henry Bennett house. Pretty landscape. Beautiful gates. I want to visit Michigan now.

21. That’s a great list. I like learning the history and admire the uniqueness of each houses. Visiting historic houses are the highlights whenever we travel.

22. needa says:

cool list to be followed I would love to visit there one day, it looks like such an incredible places!

23. These are beautiful homes! I love this architecture style.

24. Joanna says:

These houses are very nice, with such different architecture! It looks like they are situated in a quiet place as well, surrounded by nature.