Things to Consider Before Renting a House
Renting a house is not as simple as it sounds. It is a major decision that can affect the people around you especially your family and loved ones. Finding the house that fits your needs in Michigan is not easy, it takes a lot of time and luck to find one. This article can help you in finding the perfect house that you can rent. Here are some of the things that you should consider before deciding to rent a house.
- Location – there are many houses for rent in Michigan but there are few that have the perfect location. When we talk about location, this includes the general area of the house, its neighbours, traffic situation on the road near the house and the distance from vital establishments like hospitals and others. This is very important and entails a lot of work and investigation. Besides, who would want to live in a house where your neighbor can be bad influence to your kids
- Size of the house – if you have a large family, then you should look for a place that is big enough to accommodate your whole family. If you are just starting a family, you should get a place that suits your needs. You should first study your situation before renting.
- Know your landlord well. Release the “inner Sherlock Holmes” in you and investigate your landlord. You can ask previous tenants if your landlord has any history of wrongdoings toward its tenants. You can also search for blogs and other social networking sites about your soon to be landlord. Look for some feedbacks and comments about that particular landlord.
- Read the contract thoroughly. Before renting a house, there should be a contract of rent that will be signed by you and the landlord. Some contracts are very long, but you should take your time to read it. This is usually taken for granted by most tenants. Look specifically for limitations of the landlord and his responsibilities. These must be cleared before signing any contract.
- Inspect the house before renting it. Look for signs of damages inside and outside the house. If you are not with the landlord when you inspect the house, take pictures of the damages and show it to the landlord. In this way, the landlord will know and can make the necessary repairs on the house.
As a conclusion, not all houses for rent in Michigan are created equal. You must be wise enough to determine what suits you. I hope that this helped you in finding the perfect house for you.
This post is very timely for me. We’re thinking about renting a house next year. Thanks for the info. Printing off to keep in our files.
Location, location, location! I truly believe this is most important!
This is a great list for renters. Since we’ve decided to rent for a while as we learn our the new state we live it this is a great list to keep in mind.
Great tips for those looking to rent. We were considering renting at one point, and have friends looking to rent soon. I will have to pass this on to them.
You must be very wise and bring someone that is handy with houses to inspect with you!