February 17th, 2016 by MichiganLiving 6 Things That Could Annoy A True-Blooded Michigander Really Fast!

True-blooded Michiganders loves Michigan very much. They take pride with all good things that the Mitten State has contributed or done to their lives.

If you have a friend or know someone from Michigan, the last thing you wanted is make them mad by making their beloved state sound or look bad. Below are some of the most common things that non-Michiganders say or do that annoys someone from Michigan really fast.

Ask How Bad Is Detroit

Detroit Riverwalk

Mainstream media makes Detroit looks like a community full of negativity. Yes, bad things are happening but it’s only a portion of it. Detroit is much more than that! It’s a city full of spirit, a home for many influential people and the local residents are doing all they can to give it a good positive boost.

Argue and Debate That Michigan is Not the Only or Original Mitten State

Michigan Mitten State

Wisconsin might look like a mitten but Michigan is way similar.  Michigan is the one and only Mitten State, period. Michigan is one of the most recognizable states on the map (even when viewed outside the planet) and it’s also called the High-Five State of America for a reason.

Argue About The Taste of Michigan Local Beers

Beer

If you don’t drink beer, then you are fine. If you do, then you have to read this out. Michigan is the home of many award winning craft breweries. Meaning to say, the beer produced at the Mitten State is probably one of the best you can ever taste! Only in Michigan you can find different award winning IPAs, German-style lagers, French-style ales and mead made with Michigan honeybees.

Going Starbucks instead of Biggby Coffee

Biggby Coffee

Starbucks is probably one of the world’s famous coffee brand/store but in Michigan, it wasn’t the case. True-blooded Michiganders loves Biggby Coffee. If you don’t go with Michigan’s local coffee shops or brands, go Biggby Coffee.

Talk About Ohio (specially their sports teams)

Michigan vs Ohio

In sports standpoint, the name or word OHIO is strictly prohibited in Michigan. If you support any sports team from Ohio and talk about it in front of a Michigan crowd, be ready for a battle!

Ohio is Michigan’s biggest and long-time rival and you should always keep that in mind.

Throw Away Beer and Soda Cans

Cans

For every empty beer and soda can you throw, you are throwing away 10 cents that could accumulate to bigger amount overtime. In Michigan, people collect their cans until they can get enough to buy another dozen or so. If you are about to visit or thinking about living in Michigan for good, this could be one of the perks you might enjoy too!

If you are from or living in Michigan and got something to add at this list, please feel free to do so at the comment section below. We will add them up in the post when and if necessary.

35 responses to “6 Things That Could Annoy A True-Blooded Michigander Really Fast!”

Detroit definitely had a bad rep over here in the east.

2. Laurie says:

I’ve always enjoyed reading things like this from a locals perspective. I laughed at the Ohio rivalry, I was born in Cleveland.

3. Lol what is wrong with Starbucks haha it is a great place!

What a fun blog post. Gotta love our difference when comparing life to other states.

5. Jeanette says:

This made me laugh! I used to live in Michigan and you are right on the money I’m just about everything on here. People in Michigan are very proud people.

6. As a Michigander, I have personally experienced all of these taboo topics come up. So very true!

7. Melissa Bernardo says:

It’s awesome how cans are worth ten cents in Michigan! Cool post!

8. Chris Lewis says:

So many of these are SO true! Thanks for sharing!

9. April Grant says:

I love this post. I didn’t knew that cans cost a 10 cents. I wanted to go in Michigan

Haha, this is so true. My son went to Michigan State and my daughter went to Ohio State! There’s some serious rivalry there.

11. I’ve never been to Michigan but now I want to. I love your post and the way you perceive your beloved state.

12. Amber says:

Great post. I’ve seen the architecture in Detroit and it seems like an interesting place to visit. And I’m totally jealous of how much cans are worth.

13. I think just about anyone would be annoyed really fast if only the negative things are talked about regarding where they live. 🙂

14. Debbie Denny says:

Oh I love all these. Such a fun post. I love the “High Five” name. Awesome.

I had no idea! It’s good to know these things should I ever decide to go to Michigan. Thanks for the good read too. I learned a lot.

16. Haha! “Michigan is not the orignal mitten state”. That is the funniest thing I have heard. I never looked at Michigan that way. This is a very very creative post

17. Nicole Escat says:

I’ve never been to Michigan and I had No idea, But I want to visit there. Thanks for sharing.

18. Carmela Mempin says:

Great to now this things. I’ve never been to Michigan ever Since and I really want to be there. 🙂

19. Edwin Lao says:

Michigan is two radically different places – the North and the South which makes for good drama and contrast.

20. Clo Nevaeh says:

How fun! I’ve never been and would love to visit! I got to try Biggby Coffee! Sounds great.

21. victoria says:

Michigan is one of my bucket list that i want to go. and i had no idea that soda cans for 10 cents

LOL This makes me laugh. Never been on Michigan, I want now to go there.

23. Crystal says:

I HATE BIGGBY! Michigan is such a beautiful state if people just ignore Detroit.

24. Top5life says:

My brother stays in Michigan. And, he is completely in love with the place.

25. tauyanm says:

nice to know all of these love that biggby coffee one day i must try

26. Michelle says:

I’m a Ohio state fan, so I know I would offend a Michigander!

27. Rachel says:

I’ve never thought about Wisconsin having a similar mitten shape…interesting facts!

28. Ana says:

Hahaha this is so funny. Never been in michigan but i would really like save the cans for later, it is a good tradition.

29. Amy Jones says:

I’ve never been to Michigan this a really interesting point of view of the place i’ll keep it in mind when i visit

30. Interesting read. I didn’t really think about the divides in States but I can only assume it is the same as living in the UK.

I’m originally from Ohio and I lived in Michigan for 10 years. Talk about a conflict of interest. 😉

32. Lisa Rios says:

Such a fun blog post to read. I have never been to Michigan before, but would love to visit sometime soon. I love saving those beer & soda cans for later purchase!

33. Lol. These things would annoy even those who are not from Michigan.

34. Kristina says:

My dad was born in Chicago but raised in Michigan. My aunt lives there and wanting to plan a trip. I’ve never been! I have heard of bad things regarding Detroit too.

35. Coralie says:

I haven’t been to Michigan before but when I visit a place I love to go with an open mind and learn from the locals about everything. Thanks for all of the tips!