March 5th, 2016 by MichiganLiving Excellent Home Improvement Tips Perfect for Renters

With today’s technology and fast pace environment, home improvement is a lot easier compared before. With the help of the internet, you can pretty much buy all the tools and get all the ideas you will need in few mouse clicks. There’s no stopping you now to perform any home improvement projects, not unless you are a renter.

If you are renting a house, any kind of home improvement project must be approved first by the owner. You can’t perform a major home remodeling unless it’s duly noted and approved by the landlord. But, this doesn’t mean you can’t make the rented house as homey as possible. Below are some of the best home improvement tips that will surely be approved by your landlord.

Improve the flooring.

Rugs, faux-hardwood and carpet are few of the many stuff you can use to improve the flooring of your rented home. Strategically placing some colorful rugs and elegant carpet around the house can give the house a brand new look. Faux-hardwood can also be used but make sure that your landlord knows it first and foremost.

Rugs Carpet

Paint/decorate the walls.

Re-painting the wall or re-decorating it to something fresh and new has a huge instant effect at the overall look and feel of the house. But before doing any wall projects, make sure to take a photo of the existing wall first. This way, you can re-paint it back to its original color once you decided to move out.

Wall Decor

Add fresh flowers and plants.

If you have an extra corner or space, place fresh flowers and plants into it. You will be amazed how this simple act can improve your rented house.

Window Flowers

Utilize some mirrors.

Much has been said about the effect of mirrors around the house. Search the internet for ideas on how or where to place them for greater effect.

House Mirror

Use screens.

Using free-standing screens inside the house can make a huge difference. It can serve as a room divider, in corners to serve as an additional storage area and even as an added decor inside the house. There’s a lot of free-standing screens with different designs available online. Check it out and see the best one for your rented house.

Screen

Improve home security.

Adding extra CCTVs around the rented house is a great idea. This alone can make you feel really safe and secured at your rented home. Upgrading the security system can make you feel like you are living (not renting) at your own home.

CCTV

These are just few of the many home improvement ideas that you can do and follow as a renter. For more tips, you can check out this link.

41 responses to “Excellent Home Improvement Tips Perfect for Renters”

1. Many rental places have boring lighting. You can replace the ceiling lights with nicer ones. Save the ones that come with the place and put them back before you leave.

2. Therese says:

These are really nice tips. especially about home security!

3. I actually know people who installed new carpeting in a rental. I’m not sure I’d go that far but you are right, there are ways to make it more a home.

4. Diana says:

Some great tips! I also feel so sad for people that are renting and don’t feel like they can make their house a home. We happen to own our house but we use 3M Velcro strips to hang almost everything in our house…easy to remove with no damage…something that would be useful for a renter!

5. I am a renter, lol. I am looking forward to having my own house one day though that I can eventually customize.

6. Laurie says:

Great suggestions! We rent and its a pain not being able to renovate the kitchen I hate it so much.

7. Romana says:

I actually love this as I’m still renting in Boston.

Hopefully in the next 2 years I’ll be actually buying my first condo in the city.

But these are great tips 🙂

8. Fi Ni Neachtain says:

We have a rented home and we have to be very careful about what we do to the house, our landlord is even iffy if we want to give the place a new lick of paint. I love the idea of using flowers to give the place an uplift.

9. Great tips for renting. It’s nice to add your personality without making it permanent! Love the screen idea.

10. Emma White says:

oh some great tips here and I think I need to look into the security soon

11. Bismah says:

We rent a flat and have made some minimal changes and added wall decor instead of painting. The little changes you make sometimes are just as nice with little cost and effort. We have also had our own home in our home country for 5 years now and can do as we please there however we have yet to make any major changes.

12. I love this list. I wish i would have thought of rugs and taking pictures of the paint ahead of time. It would have saved me a ton of time and money. I also love the screens. Great idea.

13. Chris Lewis says:

Great suggestions! We have tried using a number of rugs around the house and have been amazed at how much these will change what the house looks like!

14. Michelle says:

Painting always brightens a home up and makes it smell better. We painted our apartment in college even though our landlord said he wouldn’t pay for it, but he did when he saw the finished results!

Oh my…fresh out of high school I got an apartment that was affordable but full of stinky carpet. I refused to move in until the carpet was replaced. The landlord wouldn’t do it so I asked if I could pull the carpet out and toss it. He said yes, and I did. Old/worn or smelly carpet ruins a whole place, doesn’t it!

16. Angelic Sinova says:

Great suggestions! Adding fresh flowers and plants is always a must to add a little life into a space. A few of my friends are renting a house and painting the walls definitely helped it feel more homey to them <3

17. We’re renting at the moment and I appreciate your tips on how to make it more homelike! My hubby has installed security camera’s! Adding pops of color in the rooms are a great improvement too!

18. Anosa says:

Aside from painting my flat which needs my landlords approval I can make use of the rest of these tips. I need to add some flowers to my apartment

19. Vicki says:

When we were renting in Florida, we asked the landlord if we could paint some on the rooms because everything was white! He allowed us to paint all of the bedrooms and he even took the cost of the supplies off our our rent! It never hurts to ask!!!

20. I love the tips here. They are practical, can definitely be used, and easily done. It’s not like some advise that makes you go “how do I do that?”

21. Pam says:

Mirrors are a great way to make a room look bigger and brighter. I use them a lot in my decorating.

22. Adrienne says:

Fresh flowers can add color and style to any room. I like adding flowers to my kitchen and some of the bedrooms. They really can put you in a great mood!

Improving home security would be my top priority. It would be nice to add a few touches to my apartment though, to make it a bit more lively.

24. Ashley Steer says:

We rent and it’s frustrating at times not being able to make certain improvements, but these were all great tips. We are able to paint, so we took advantage of that for my son’s bedroom. We can’t wait to own our own home though so we can make all the changes we want!

25. Love the butterflies! Great suggestions, simple ones that do not cost too much money.

26. tauyanm says:

adding some mirror designs around the house gives a big difference indeed!

27. victoria says:

This is such a great advice, I want to add a security camera to our house since we are renting and we’re not always at home.

28. Nicole Escat says:

Thank you for the great idea and suggestions. It will help other people/us to secure their/our house more.

Woah. That looks so classy! Great tips and ideas. Love this post.

30. These are very helpful tips for all the renters. Unfortunately, as much as we want to own our house, some circumstances that cannot be avoided.

31. Carmela Mempin says:

Security is one of my priorities when we go for rent a house. So glad to know about it.

32. I love these tips! It can be so hard when renting to feel like you can improve the house since you don’t own it.

33. Kathy says:

These are some wonderful tips. I love all the decor. It looks very nice! I think that would even look good in a home where there is no rent involved. Very beautiful!

34. Echo says:

These are great tips! Especially, decorating the walls and bringing fresh flowers and plants! Small changes can make a big impact!

35. All very great suggestions. As a landlord, I would be thrilled it my tenants wanted to paint. I would even consider paying for the paint as long as I approved the color. It’s important to feel comfortable and make a rental a home. A splash of color can do wonders!

36. rika says:

Great tips.. I think a clean carpet/tile is very important 🙂 Wall and fresh flowers will also help

37. I always forget how much rugs can change and brighten a room. So true they are perfect for renters!

38. Molly Kumar says:

These are some great tips. I love decorating the house with fresh flower planters and mirrors.

39. Amber says:

Renting a home and being able to make it your own is sometimes so difficult. I love these tips. I’ve never really considered the mirrors but great idea. I love using room dividers

40. Darcey says:

I’m moving next week so these tips came at the perfect time!

41. I swear simple decor can really transform any room!!! I’m all about decor in my place 🙂