January 31st, 2017 by MichiganLiving LOOK! Crafty Guy Transformed A Barren Concrete Courtyard Into A Comfy Day Bed Made Out Of Grass

Having a small and concrete outdoor space doesn’t mean you can’t grow some greenery around your home. In fact, with a little creativity, you can even create something that’s quite unique and remarkable.

This is what Jason Hodges just did at their home. He created something at their concrete backyard that took the internet by storm. Mr. Hodges transformed a barren concrete courtyard into a comfy and cozy day bed out of green grass. And by the looks of it, it’s so perfect for a simple backyard picnic or even for an afternoon relaxing nap. Amazing right?

Jason-Hodges-Grass-Daybed 4 pics

Here’s the video of the Grass Day Bed courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens YouTube channel.

In the above video, Hodges details how he created his masterpiece by transforming a barren courtyard into a comfy pad made out of real grass. First, he constructs the base of a futon and dresses it with a headboard. He then constructed the top frame where the grass will grow. To finish his project, Hodges used some charcoal stain in the wood for that elegant look.

The type of grass that Jason used was the soft leaf buffalo turf – a low maintenance type of grass that can grow beautifully and has a soft touch. Speaking of maintenance, Jason mentioned that you only need a good pair of sheers and a watering can to keep the Grass Day Bed beautiful at all times.

What do you think of Jason Hodges’ project?

Image via inhabitat.com

38 responses to “LOOK! Crafty Guy Transformed A Barren Concrete Courtyard Into A Comfy Day Bed Made Out Of Grass”

1. CoCo says:

So crafty! Love that the cushion is made of grass! Great way to help control water in the case of rain!

2. Mandy Carter says:

That is definitely an interesting project. I wonder how often he cuts that grass and how the heavy rain water seaps through?

3. Crafty… but watch out for fire ants! He thought through the drainage, but now I’m wondering how he cuts it!

4. Dana says:

Interesting idea! He could have had a flower bed had he added in a few daisies 😉

5. this is great especially for those city dwellers on a roof top or large balcony.

6. Lydia says:

This is so interesting, such a cool project to work on! I love how it turned out!

7. Now that is an ingenious idea! I am just wondering, though, if the grass is itchy when he lays on it? Otherwise I think it looks great.

8. Okay, this is so cool. I just Tweeted this and I am showing it to my husband. This would be so cool as part of our deck!

9. Anne Yedlin says:

That looks awesome and what a great way to use the space without taking from the area. I’m going to have to show this to my husband!

10. Jeanine says:

What a really cool idea! I would love to do something like this for my backyard. Looks like something my husband would love!

11. Becki says:

I was wondering how he cut it til they disclosed the ‘low-maintenance’ part 😉 What a creative idea!

12. Super cool for those who live somewhere where they don’t have a lot of access to grass. I would love this for my whites. Laying them on the grass in the sun has awesome bleaching capabilities.

13. Belle says:

That is such a clever idea! It would be great to have this in our house where we can just relax on to while the kids are running around and playing!

Belle | One Awesome Momma

14. Heather says:

I love that! That’s so cool! I want to do something similar in the spring I think.

15. Kelly Reci says:

woww! thats so amazing! i wish i can make it on my own in my garden! i really like the idea!

16. Debra says:

Real grass? That is so cool! How would your mow it? or trim it? I can’t wait for spring and garden planting season.

17. This gives new meaning to word green space. I think it is a fabulous idea unless you are allergic to grass.

I’ve seen this around and I think it’s awesome! It’s quite a nice idea especially if you’re someone who like hanging out in the backyard. I would even set up a home theater for this!

19. My Teen Guide says:

He is amazing! His idea and work is really awesome. Can someone do it for me? Lol!

20. I love this so much! We will have to try and make one for our backyard this summer. Such a great idea!

21. Really cool idea! My dogs would poop in it. LOL!

22. Our Family World says:

He is an amazing guy! His idea is great and the bed looks cozy.

23. How awesome is this?! If I had more space in my garden, I would want to have a grass day bed, too!

24. Bill S says:

What a great looking grass bed!! I love how the project turned out, adds great character to your yard.

25. Tereza says:

This is pretty bad ass genius to be honest! I’d love to do something like this in our garden – it’s a really neat thing to do when you’re renting as well because you’re not digging anything up! x

26. Brandi Puga says:

People are so amazingly creative! I wish I had more motivation to do things like this!

27. This is such an amazing idea! I want something like this in my garden when I get my own house eventually 🙂

28. Shelby says:

I would totally sleep on a grassy day bed. This project looks fantastic. I’ll have to add it to my husbands To Do list 🙂

29. Wren says:

Such a neat idea for people who do not have a typical backyard. I have TONS of grass, but this would be great to lay on and read! 🙂

30. Oh I love this! It sounds like a perfect idea for small yards and minimal upkeep! What a great idea, one day I might have a space for it!

31. di says:

oh I LOVE this idea! We had to remove our grass last year though. Drought here in southern california just wasn’t worth leaving in what was “trying’ to stay alive 🙁

32. Heather says:

That is such a fun idea! It would be perfect in areas where grass is harder to grow. I could even see a smaller version being perfect for a dog if the owner only had a patio!

33. Robin Rue says:

This is so cool! I never would have thought of something like this out of an old palette or anything of the like.

Omg how fabulous is this bed?!?! It would look amazing next to my pool in my yard!

35. Brilliant idea, now can he come to mine and do the same 🙂

36. This is such a creative way to relax in the backyard. I’m allergic to grass so I don’t think it would work for me but I’m sure my husband would love it.

37. rika says:

This is a wonderful DIY project! Love the concept and result, so stunning!

38. I wouldn’t mind doing this or having this done in out backyard! It’s so cool and it’s also a great place to relax especially when the weather is perfect outside!