July 13th, 2015 by MichiganLiving 6 Rental Property Viewing Tips That Are Truly Helpful

If you are all set to personally check and view a rental property, these tips can make it a much better and productive trip. So before making a trip, why not spend a few minutes reading the following information.

Living Room

Prepare and plan well.

“Failing to plan is planning to fail” – this saying applies really well in terms of house or rental viewing. Preparation is the key to a successful rental viewing. Make a list of the things you need to ask. Write them down in a piece of paper. It will truly help you not to forget those important questions that need to be answered by the landlord or homeowner.

Bring someone.

Viewing a rental property alone is ok, but viewing it with a friend or family member is way better. Why? Aside from safety and security, you can also ask his/her opinion about the house and the neighborhood too.

Check the bills.

Make sure to check the bills of the former tenants of the rental property. This will give you an idea about how much money you need to dish out aside from the rental fee. You also need to ask if there’s anything that is included in the rental fee e.g. water and gas.

Kitchen Room

Ask what else are included.

Ask the homeowner/landlord if there is any appliances/furniture included at your rental fee. This is a must to make sure that you won’t need to buy extra furniture like the bed, storage cabinets and more upon moving in.

Inspect and check all corners.

A good looking lawn or garden truly adds value to a rental property. But as the tenant-to-be, you should look beyond the outer looks. Inspect all the doors, windows and rooms. Make sure that there’s running water in the kitchen and bathroom. Check for smoke alarms and other safety and security detail or stuff that should be present and installed in the property.

Visit, check and inspect as soon as possible.

Good rental properties are hard to come by. So if you found one that you think is quite good enough for you, make sure to inspect and visit it as soon as you can. Remember, good rental properties are often snapped up quickly.

25 responses to “6 Rental Property Viewing Tips That Are Truly Helpful”

1. Liz says:

Good tips. I’ll keep these in mind when I am house hunting for my first home, hoping this year or the next.

2. Rachel says:

Great tips!!! Thank you for sharing them.

3. Crystal says:

They rent out fast so you need to be on top of the game. Also, knowing what the area goes for is important.

Very helpful tips, thank you. Will have to keep these in mind.

5. It is definitely important to look at all your options when you start your home search.

6. Becki says:

Great advice! I remember there also being companies I didn’t want to rent from back in my college days 😉

7. great tips! Especially bringing someone with you, saves you from letting your heart over rule your brain!

8. Michele says:

These are very good tips whether you are trying to rent an apartment, copndo, co-op or house! Those hidden fees can be killers!

This is really good advice. It’s tough to think about all of these when you need to move to a new place quickly.

10. These are awesome tips. We used to rent before, but just recently, we bought our home.

11. Jeannette says:

These are some great tips! We are buying not renting but the same tips seem to apply! Checking the bills is especially helpful!

12. Jacob Fu says:

This is a great list! We’ve been learning a lot moving from city to city and looking for a new apartment every time.

It’s always good to know what the bills will be! We just bought our home and since its older the heating bill in the winter is a tad bit higher than we imagined!

14. sharon phillips says:

Thanks for the tips. I love that picture of the kitchen in the last pic. Just pure beautiful. Love all the wood.

15. Franc Ramon says:

I think it helps to have someone with you as you also need others people’s opinion on the property. It also helps you to inspect more areas in the house faster.

16. These are all great tips thanks for sharing, I will definitely consider them the next time I am house hunting.

17. HilLesha says:

Wonderful advice, but how does one go about checking the former tenant’s bills? I do agree that it’s important to inspect thoroughly, as this has helped me save a lot of time and money.

18. Rebecca Swenor says:

These are awesome tips for rental or property viewing indeed. It is so important to be prepared ahead of time by writing down your questions before viewing. Asking what is included and how much the average bills are monthly are important question to ask for sure. Thanks for sharing.

19. Krystal says:

I always bring someone so I can get a second opinion. THAT is so important!

I’m all about the lawn. If the lawn isn’t taken care of, I wonder what else is not.

21. Stephanie says:

I’ve been a renter for 22 years, and these tips are spot on. Always, always, talk to the tenants. The landlord isn’t going to tell you that he doesn’t do maintenance and that the heat never works in the winter. And I wish rental properties around here looked like the ones you pictured!

22. XmasDolly says:

This is very important information for anyone who is looking for an apartment and you are very right about inspecting ASAP because good places get snapped up so fast. Thanks for sharing.

23. What great tips and I like the one of checking the former tenants bills. I didn’t know one could request that! I like a neat and tidy lawn that’s manageable, as I always think the lawns say a lot about the occupants!

24. Cai says:

These are great tips, very useful indeed! I suggest also to visit the property twice if possible. Do a day and night visit to be able to properly access. A night visit is important especially for condos or apartments so you’d be able to check the noise level at night.

25. […] If you will check the listed property in person and the location is somewhat new to you, take a friend along. Aside from the added protection, your friend can give you an honest opinion about the property. For more rental property viewing tips, check out this link. […]