February 16th, 2015 by MichiganLiving 5 Simple Tips That Can Make Your Rented Space Feels Like Real Home

Renting a home doesn’t mean you can’t personalize your space. Although there are set of rules or dos and don’ts given by the landlords, it doesn’t mean you can’t change a thing at your property.

Below are some of the ways you can make your rented abode feels like your own home. Almost all of them won’t do permanent changes or even damage at your rented floors and walls.

Floor

Rugs

Rugs and carpets of your own choosing can make a big difference. If your rented home do have carpet or rugs in place, you can change them up with your own. You can choose the color you wanted and the type or kind of rugs that best suits your taste and personality.

Wall

Wall Paint

The wall paint doesn’t suit your taste? Try those easy-to-remove wallpapers. But if you have no time to cover the walls, the good old picture frames or paintings / art will do great as well. Ask permission from your landlord first about the hooks and pins you might need to fix at the wall.

Furnishing

Curtain

Curtains can make great changes too! Simply fold up and store in a safe place the old curtains and use the ones you already have.

Pot Plants

Pot Plants

You can’t go wrong with pot plants. You can move and place them to places you wanted. Green plants add more life to your rented home.

Lighting, Lamp Shades, Knobs and Handles

Lamp Shade

Changing these things is quite easy to do. You can even take them with you when it’s time to leave your rented home. A change of design or style of the lights and even cabinet handles and knobs can make huge difference at the way you look at your rented home.

All of these tips require little effort and changes on your rented home. Seek the permission of your landlord first and explain to them what changes you will do and how it won’t create permanent change or damage to their property.

Image License: CC0 Public Domain / PIXABAY

21 responses to “5 Simple Tips That Can Make Your Rented Space Feels Like Real Home”

1. Crystal says:

I totally want that rug! Great tips!

2. Some landlords will even let you make permanent upgrades. The house I bought in 1997 (before Granite became the “standard” upgrade) had Corian countertops that the previous tenant had installed. He worked in the industry, wanted them, and had gotten a great discount.

3. Love this, these tips work even for your house you’ve bought. I totally need to implement some of these and I’ve lived here for 2 years already 😉

4. Courtney says:

Yes! Love these ideas. Now only if I knew how to mix and match colors, patterns and furniture arrangements. 😉

5. […] to all people, women will find them more useful. No matter if you are renting an apartment or living at your dream home, these tips are pretty much applicable and […]

6. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

These are such great tips. It’s important to make a space your own, even if it’s technically not your own.

7. Those are great tips to make a rented space look like your home. I love the plants and curtains

8. I used to rent an apartment when I was still in mo former country and I totally decorated it like my own home. Luckily, the owner has no specific rules of “What not to do”!

these are some fabulous tips!!!! Really could of used these I the apt I lived in before buying my house!

10. Heather says:

I love the two rugs on top of one another in a shape. There’s a lot you can do wth rented space.

11. Echo says:

These are wonderful ideas! There are so many things that you can put on the walls now that can be put on and taken off with no damage. It really gives you more decorating options.

12. Catherine S says:

These are all great tips. We are currently renting and getting ready to move again. I am so excited about decorating the new place.

13. Mommy Peach says:

Rugs and a bit of decors here and there really do wonders for your home or rented apartment. We put a brown rug in ours and we loved the result.

14. Leslie says:

These are some great tips. I like that everything is easily achievable and definitely makes a difference. The simples would probably be lighting, plants and wall decor.

15. I love using throw rugs to accessorize when we are renting. These are great tips!

16. John Lopez says:

What a wonderful tips from you. Thanks for sharing it, you know before I was rented a house and my wife is really wise when it comes to our home, but this time were now living our own home.

17. Lisa says:

Man, I could have used these tips when we lived in our apartment. I could never get it to really feel like a home!

18. Beth says:

We’ve just moved into a new apartment and did many of these things. Weird that I’ve never considered my apartment to NOT feel like home!

19. Carmy says:

Totally serious: been STICKING posters on the walls in my rented space haha. I’m terrified of not getting my deposit back so this is amazing lol

20. Some awesome tips, and I’ll take that white couch! So fun & urban!

21. […] of your home or room’s interior. This will help you choose the right color and pattern of the rugs that can complement your home. If you don’t know where or how to start, check out Pinterest for ideas and […]