June 22nd, 2016 by MichiganLiving External Home Improvement Tips That Every Homeowner Should Read!

Much has been said on how improving the interior area of the house, specially the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, can drastically affect its value. But did you know that improving the home’s exterior does have great impact too?

Homeowners often forget that the first thing that guests will see upon arriving at their property is the house’s exterior. This is why it’s equally important to improve this part of the house, especially if it’s on sale or being leased.

If you are a homeowner, there are certain projects that you can do to improve your abode’s exterior. Some of the most important ones are as follows.

External Home Improvement Projects

Wall Paint

For many, chipped and peeling wall paint is a big sign of an old and poorly maintained house. Check your home’s exterior paint and if they are starting to peel off, repaint it immediately. This can give your house a fresher and brighter look even from the distance.

Gutters

Check and clean your gutter. Make sure that it’s free from any kind of debris. Check for possible blockage and attend to it immediately. Inspect for holes and damage and repair it if necessary.

Doors and Windows

Worn out, damage and dirty doors and windows is a major turn off for many. Aside from looking ugly, they are not energy efficient as they could allow cold air and heat to escape. Check your doors and windows for possible damage and repair if necessary.

Roof

It’s important for you, as a homeowner, to have a regular check up of the roof. This is to prevent any possible leak that could damage your ceiling during the wet/rainy season. You can also try using protective paint at it if possible. If roof is damage and it’s beyond repair, better replace it as soon as possible.

These tips or projects might sound too basic but the effect of them, if done right, can be so positively drastic.

36 responses to “External Home Improvement Tips That Every Homeowner Should Read!”

1. Jamie says:

Peeling paint is the first sign (at least for me) of a neglected house. If you couldn’t take the time to fix the parts that you could see, what parts that you can’t see have you left to waste?

2. Rachel Dean says:

We are going to need a new roof soon. It is not only old but it looks old. A new roof will definitely add to the appearance.

3. Liz says:

I’ve been looking to buy a house recently and I definitely look at the age of a roof – if it’s too old, I’m not interested in the house.

4. What great tips and suggestions! I had no idea that we need to check our roof regularly. Thank you for the help 🙂

5. I need a new roof. I know that leaks are going to start if I don’t get it fixed soon. I hate it, but it has to be done.

6. Lisa Martens says:

Great reminder to get busy and get at those gutters (ugh)! Curb appeal really does make a huge difference. Not everyone can look at a house and see potential the same way other people can.

7. Amy Jones says:

I’ll make my mom read this list, we need an improvement for the house. Thanks a lot for the post!

8. Curb appeal is very important. And don’t just spruce it up once, you need to keep it maintained during the selling process.

9. This is a good reminder not to ignore the outside of your home! I really need to check our gutters thanks to all the pine trees around our home. It gets overfilled with pinecones and needles every spring and fall!

10. Claire says:

These are good tips, I need to have my gutters looked at, especially after last night’s storm and flooding in the neighbourhood.

11. Tina Ashburn says:

These are great tips for every homeowner. I live in a development where the HOA recently painted the 120 homes and it has made a tremendous difference. It also increased the property value! I can’t stress enough how vital it is to maintain the outside, too!

12. LIz Mays says:

Oh those gutters…they’re always a problem for me! Cleaning them out is essential though and keeping them in good condition is too.

13. Cecile says:

Great tips! I find keeping the gutters in really good condition does make the house have more curb appeal.

14. Sarah Bailey says:

We’ve just had to have some roof repairs done, most definitely worth keeping on top of all of the external issues your home may have.

15. Erin says:

Great tips! I’ll have to keep these in mind if I ever become a homeowner.

16. Lexie Lane says:

The roof is one of the most common problems. Thanks for these tips, really helpful!

17. Taylor says:

I don’t have my own house yet but for when that happens I’ll have to keep these tips in mind!

18. Excellent tips, mostly because they have become so overlooked. I’ve seen homeowners really decline in taking care of the maintenance on their homes. And it sucks come moving time when they have to pay a but load of money to fix all the issue in one go

19. Great info! So many homeowners don’t think about these things, but we all should.

20. wendy says:

Great tips! Anytime you can do a little at a time and try to keep up with it the better. Sometimes though houses can be sink holes if you are not careful!

The exterior is just as important, definitely. That’s our house’s first line of defense and it would be a shame to not take care of it. I think these are very good pointers for any home owner.

22. Christina Aliperti says:

This is really important to know. Especially if you are a first time home owner. Sometimes you don’t know where to start.

23. Amanda Love says:

I agree, the outside is just as important as the inside of our homes and it’s important to maintain it not just for the appearance but also for the purpose. I think these are great tips!

This is a great list. We’re dealing with needing a new roof and windows right now. It’s all so much money! I love being a home owner, but it can be stressful when it comes to maintaining the home.

25. Nikki Jenner says:

I like these home improvement tips! Sometimes, maintaining a good home is expensive and hard!

26. Amanda M says:

Gutters certainly are somewhat an unnecessary neussance, you definitely know when something goes wrong. Especially in Fall in Michigan and all the leaves falling!

27. Nicole Escat says:

We never have a problem in our home because we just rented it. I will keep this handy in times, I need them.

28. She Joh says:

I agree with most of these. I’ve seen old houses get a paint job and it really does make a difference. I also think good landscaping can do wonders as well and can take a run down house and make it seem a little more spruced up than what it actually is.

Gutter in a woodsy yard in Michigan could really keep you busy. I remember it well. 🙂

30. I had friends before who would intentionally make the exterior of their house ugly to turn away possible thieves to break inside the house. I do get your point though.

31. We recently bought a house and we will be moving in next month. We will be doing some improvements. I could use these tips. Thank you for sharing.

32. Colette S says:

I would love to paint and I can see where our doors and windows need some help. We’ll get to it.

33. I am moving into a new place that will need a lot of work doing. I need to repaint the rooms when I move in!

34. I think painting the walls is the quickest and easiest way to refresh a home, for sure!

35. Lindsay says:

Such a great cheat sheet list for homeowners to use for outside upkeep!

36. Mhaan A says:

Rainy season is coming and your post reminds me that we need to clean our gutter to avoid inconvenience. Thanks for sharing!