August 5th, 2015 by MichiganLiving Must Know Tips for Staying Safe When Renting Alone

Living alone in a neighborhood or community you barely know is quite uncomfortable.  Below are some practical tips and advice that can help address your concern in terms of safety, security and comfort.

Change Door Locks

This is a must and the very first step you must do in terms of safety and security. Upon moving in to your new home, see to it that you change each and every door locks. This can give you assurance that only you have the direct access to your doors and no other people can easily get in at any given time.

Door Metal Lock

Get a Dog

If you are allowed to bring in a pet or two, by all means get a dog. Having a dog around can give you some peace of mind knowing that it can protect you and your home from outsiders that are trying to break in. Their senses and natural instinct can become your instant alarm most especially when you are sleeping.

Study the Neighborhood

If you can, walk around the neighborhood and try to get a feel of what’s living in the community feels like at day and at night. Doing this can give you a general overview of the type of people you will usually encounter day-in and out.

If you can take things further, you can even visit nearby police precinct or station and ask about how safe the community is.

Security Safety

Befriend Some Neighbors

If you are new to the neighborhood, it’s a must that you befriend few of your neighbors. This way, you can ask them few stories about the community itself and the house you are renting right now. Befriending some of them can also help you out in case of emergency cases.

Request for Security Inspection

Ask a local police or someone who is an expert at home security to inspect and identify the areas in your home that is vulnerable to criminals. Ask them for ideas and advice on how you can better protect yourself and your home from burglars.

home security officers

Important Tips:

Remove all expensive items that can be easily seen outside your home or through your window.

Remove all blind spots near our within your home. Overgrown shrubs can become burglar-friendly places if not addressed.

For more security tips and advice when leaving alone, visit this page from hotpads.com.

Image License: CC0 Public Domain / PIXABAY.COM

32 responses to “Must Know Tips for Staying Safe When Renting Alone”

1. I know the changing of the locks thing should be done for everyone, even new homeowners. I live in a pretty good area, which is nice.

2. Great tips for keeping safe. The door locks thing is something most people don’t think about. Also, a lot of people don’t think much about putting their huge screen TV in the living room, right in view from the street.
    I am so thankful I live in an area where I feel safe, but crime can strike anywhere… TFS

3. These are great tips. It’s been so long since I’ve lived alone, I don’t know if I could do it anymore. The world is just so crazy!

Finding apartments that allow pets around here is very rare. I love your other tips, though.

5. I give a lot of people credit who live alone…I coudl never do it! I’m scared of every sound I hear, lol!

6. these are all really great tips! whenever I move into a new neighborhood the first thing i do is try and meet the neighbors. It’s always good to know the neighbors and have an extra set of eyes on your house. We have also always had a dog.

7. Jeannette says:

These are great tips! Every time I move the first thing I do is change the locks. You just never know who the previous occupant has shared keys with.

8. rika says:

great tips. I rented a house when i was a single. I couldn’t sleep well almost every night. Luckily, nobody broke into the house.

9. Lots of students will be heading to college soon and many of them will be renting off campus so these are tips that would be good to share with them.

10. ARod says:

Awesome tips for renters and home owners alike. I always also like to add curtains to any street facing windows so I can close them when not at home.

These are great things to consider. A couple of my old apartments only locked with a dead bolt. It didn’t feel safe!

12. I lived alone for quite some time when I was younger. You have some great tips. I do remember there were times when I was scared to death. It is very important to do your best to stay safe.

13. kristin says:

These are great tips. You hate being home alone. Thank you for sharing.

14. these are super important issues. I only lived alone in my mid 20’s to age 30 – but at times I did feel a bit scared.

15. Nickida says:

Great tips for someone renting and living alone.

16. Valuable advice you have written here. If I were living alone, changing the door locks would be the first thing I would do!

17. Crystal says:

Great tips. I love that door lock. Living in a new neighborhood can sometimes be scary.

18. Lynndee says:

Changing the door locks is definitely a must and if you could add more locks, much better, I believe. Better be safe than sorry.

19. becka says:

Good tips. I haven’t lived alone in a very long time but they still apply.

20. Bonnie @ wemake7 says:

These are really great tips. I haven’t lived by myself in a few years but I remember when I did and it was pretty scary.

21. lisa says:

These are great tips. I haven’t lived alone in about a decade but I know how dangerous it can be especially for a woman living alone.

22. Rebecca Swenor says:

These are awesome safety tips when renting alone. I love the idea of changing the locks. It is always a good idea to befriend some neighbors because you each watch out for each other. You gain more friends that way too by befriending neighbors. Thanks for sharing.

23. Ann Bacciaglia says:

These are great tips. My Daughter is moving into her first place in September. It is smart to get to know a few of your neighbors.

24. These are great tips! We are always so worried about my niece, living alone in her apartment. I will pass this on to her.

These are some great tips! I have never lived alone. I would be kinda scared to ever actually lol…. I would think changing locks would be super important!!

26. With everything messed up going on these days, it makes me paranoid most of the times. These are great tips. thank you!

27. Winter White says:

Great tips! As a single person I have always found it important to make sure that I know my neighborhood especially. These are great tips!

28. I always worried about this when I was a single mom. I ended up renting an apartment that had an alarm. It was even monitored. The alarm made me feel safer.

29. HilLesha says:

I have never lived alone before. I think I’d always be paranoid if I did, considering that so much goes on these days. These are wonderful tips, though!

30. I’m always weary about renting a new place where the locks have not been changed. That is the first thing I do.

31. This is something everyone should be aware of especially when venturing in a new place or being alone.. yet always being taken for granted.. thanks for the reminder.