May 3rd, 2016 by MichiganLiving Top 10 Things Every Michigander Must Do, #5 Sounds Really Cool!

Nearly 8000 votes were cast in a poll conducted by MLive.Com titled The Michigan Bucket List: 25 Things Every Michigander Must Do. With this poll, readers voted their biggest Michigan must-do experiences and the top 10 results are as follows.

1. Soak up the scenery at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

This stunning park on the shores of Lake Superior took first place and won more than 10 percent of the votes in our bucket list poll. No wonder: there’s really no other place like it on Earth.

2. Explore the wilderness at Isle Royale National Park

Visiting Isle Royale – reportedly America’s least-visited national park – requires some prep but the beauty and solitude are worth it.

3. See the fall color in the Porcupine Mountains

Camp, hike, stay overnight in a yurt – whatever you do, bring a camera for the jaw dropping scenery at spots like Lake of the Clouds overlook and the Presque Isle river corridor.

Porcupine Mountains! By @northern_experience Ontonagon, MI.

A photo posted by Mittigan (@puremittigan) on

4. Behold the beauty of Tahquamenon Falls

This seris of impressive waterfalls owe its unique rusty colors to tannins from the cedar swamps where the Tahquamenon river originates.

5. See the ice caves on Lake Superior

Those who brave the epic cold of Lake Superior in the winter are treated to the magic of ice caves. Grand Island in Munising, near Pictured Rocks, is a great spot for frozen spectacle.

6. Do the Dune Climb at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Run-tumbling down the big dune at Sleeping Bear Dunes is about a classic “up-north” experience.

7. See a Lake Michigan sunset

Your Pure Michigan experience won’t be complete without seeing a Lake Michigan sunset.

8. Walk across the Straits at the annual Mackinac Bridge Walk

This free anual Labor Day weekend event drew an estimated 30,000 people last year.

9. Canoe, kayak or tube a Michigan river

Whether you prefer a lazy tube ride up the Platte or paddling the whitewater rapids of the Au Train, spending some QT with Michigan’s more than 300 named rivers is a must-do.

Winter float #darkroomapp #michigan #river #fishing #kayak #paddle #grandrapids #iphone

A photo posted by Drew Davis (@futuregraffiti) on

10. Ride a ferry

In a state nearly surrounded by water, ferry rides are part of life here – a necessity to some, a novelty to others, but a part of Great Lakes experience.

Crossing #lakemichigan #dawn #goodmorning #ferry #lake #business #businesstrip #travel #roadtrip #michigan #usa #greatlakes

A photo posted by Diego Del Gallego (@diegodelgallego) on

For the complete list, visit this MLIVE webpage: The Michigan Bucket List: 25 Things Every Michigander Must Do

37 responses to “Top 10 Things Every Michigander Must Do, #5 Sounds Really Cool!”

1. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

Those rocks are wicked cool. I have never seen anything like that.

2. Jeanette says:

I used to live in Michigan and they definitely have a lot of stuff to do. Their sunsets are some of the prettiest I have ever seen. There are many places that I need to explore the area that’s obvious by reading this blog post.

3. tara pittman says:

I would love to visit the ice caves. The bridge walk sounds fun too.

4. wendy says:

I love nature, period. These areas are gorgeous! I have not been to Michigan before but I think a trip is in the near future!

5. Lisa Martens says:

I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I’ve never been to the Porcupine Mountains in fall or the Lake Superior Ice Caves but I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy the many other places on your list. We are truly blessed to have so much beauty around us.

6. Jamie says:

I have never been to Michigan, but it is on my list of places to visit. So many beautiful places to see…number 5 looks like a must see for sure!

7. I’ve always wanted to visit Mackinac Island. It looks like such a beautiful place to spend time in and just relax.

8. This list is great! It definitely highlights how many gems there are in the UP too. I live on Beaver Island and ride the ferry all the time, but it’s been a long time since I’ve ridden to Mackinac. I’d say spending time on Michigan’s awesome islands are a must do too! 🙂

9. Jeni Hawkins says:

I would have SO much fun exploring the wilderness! Hopefully I can make it to Michigan one day, so I can explore that state!

Yes, yes to all of this. I love living in Michigan. So many cool choices of things to do outdoors in the summer. Fun for the whole family.

11. Rachel Dean says:

How is it that I’ve lived her 45 years and not seen so many of these!! I must get busy!

12. Jamie Knupp says:

Oh my goodness, these pictures made me want to visit Michigan. So beautiful!

13. Kira T says:

Michigan is one of the few states I haven’t been too. These pictures are amazing! I really need to go!

These are wonderful ideas. I loved watching the sun set over Lake Michigan as a child.

15. those are beautiful pictures. That ice cave looks amazing

There really is no dull place in Michigan. Everything is picture perfect and really breathtaking. I would love to see all of these places when I find myself there someday. They are worth the trip.

17. Monica says:

I have never yet visited Michigan, but after reading your post have put it on my “must visit” list!

18. These are fun things to do. The ice cave looks amazing.

19. Patrice says:

These are all fun idea would love to go to Michigan …The sunset is calling me and Ice cave lots of interesting activities.

Those photos are so beautiful, those are perfect, the place activities and many more.I would love to visit and see beautiful places in Michigan one day.!

21. I need to hike up that dune again. I also need to visit Pictured Rocks!

22. Bernadette Callahan says:

All the pictures look amazing! I love those ice caves!

23. Michelle T says:

Never did 1, 2, and 4. I didn’t even know we had a place to go see with waterfalls. Looks so pretty and peaceful.

24. RaNesha says:

See Ice Caves Lake Superior is something I would enjoy.

25. If I am there I will take all the chance to capture those amazing places and drown myself with everything that surrounds it.

26. Amy Jones says:

What a beautiful list of thing to do, id love touring on michigan =)!

27. Delaine says:

Too bad can’t relate, but list sounds fun nevertheless

28. Great activities! I would love to do them all!

29. Maria says:

Michigan is so lovely; reminds me a lot of Ontario. We’re so close, will have to make a visit during the summer.

30. I would love to visit an ice cave I bet that would be a magical experience. I have been a normal cave before but never an ice one.

31. wow, those are fantastic places to visit. I would love to visit Michigan someday. Thanks for sharing!

Leaf changing in Michigan is the best, isn’t it!! I haven’t been to Porcupine Mt though.

33. tauyanm says:

that lake is amazing! love to see the procupine mountain and just camp there!

34. I used to live in Michigan, so I liked reading this post. I never got a chance to do any of these things…not even the sunset.

35. You are right. #5 is truly amazing. I would love to see this in person. I wouldn’t want to be underneath it though coz I’m paranoid like that.

36. Ashley says:

This looks like a beautiful place to visit!

Omg who knew there was so much fabulousness to be done in Michigan!!! I need to check these spots out!