April 23rd, 2015 by MichiganLiving 10 Awesome Facts That Prove Michigan Is The Greatest State Ever!

Living in Michigan is awesome, that’s a fact. If you don’t believe it, then let the following facts do the talking for us.

Sleeping Bear Dunes, The Most Beautiful Place in America

Sleeping Bear Dunes

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, tucked away in the northwest corner of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, won the title of “Good Morning America’s” Most Beautiful Place in America. – ABCNews.Go.Com

Michigan pretty much invented the modern weekend.

First Ford Factory

If not for the great Henry Ford, we may not be enjoying our two-day weekend. The modern weekend has its origin in Michigan labor movement. It all started when Henry Ford gave his workers the two days off back in the early 1900s even though the government didn’t mandate the forty-hour work week until 1938.

Love beer? Michigan is the best place for you!

Michigan Brewers Guild

Michigan is one of the top 5 states in the country for most number of breweries. Michigan’s total of 80+ beer makers ranks fifth nationally.

Michiganders are the only people on earth who always carry a portable map of their hometown.

Michigander Hand Map

The Lower Peninsula of Michigan is shaped like a hand wearing a mitten. Most Michiganders calls it America’s High Five.  If you will ask anyone from Michigan where they are from, expect them to show you the back of their left hand and point to a spot to show you where home is.

Musical wonder Stevie Wonder reps Saginaw, Michigan

Stevie Wonder Saginaw

Born on May 13, 1950 in Saginaw, Michigan as Stevland Hardaway Judkins.

Queen of Pop, Madonna reps Bay City

Madonna

Madonna Louise Ciccone – born in Bay City, Michigan. She attended the University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance before moving to New York City to pursue a career in modern dance.

Motown Records in Detroit

Motown

Every musician knows Motown. Motown was the home to some of the most influential musicians ever like Diana Ross, Jackson 5, the Temptations, Smoky Robinson and more.

Image source: Flickr: Rain0975 / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: rain0975

Michigan is the home of the world famous Ford, GM and Chrysler.

gm-ford-chrysler

As the home of these leading car makers, there are car shows almost everywhere. If you are a car enthusiast, you will simply love Michigan.

Michigan produces up to 75% of America’s tart cherries.

Tart Cherries

With 3.8 million tart cherry trees, Michigan produces 70 to 75 percent of the tart cherries grown in the United States.

Image source: Andrew McFarlane / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: farlane

Art fan? Detroit Institute of Arts could be heaven for you.

Detroit Institute of Art

D.I.A. includes pieces by Robbia, Bellini, Titian, Rembrandt, Rubens, Rodin, Van Gogh, Picasso, and Matisse. D.I.A. includes works spanning nearly all historical periods from Ancient Greece and Rome up to 1950.

25 responses to “10 Awesome Facts That Prove Michigan Is The Greatest State Ever!”

1. Rachel says:

Michigan does have a lot to offer! Have you lived in Michigan all your life? Although I have, I’m ready for some year around warmer weather.

2. A GEEK DADDY says:

Sleeping Bears Dunes is a great summer place to retreat to. We haven’t camped there yet but want to go on an extended visit where we pitch a tent.

3. crystal says:

I LOVE Sleeping Bear Dunes. I went for one of our anniversary trips. I want to take my girls.

4. Outstanding. I totally agree on all counts – it is THE BEST!

5. Anna Mae says:

We loved Sleeping Bear. Love cherry picking but the season is usually really short…only a couple of days down here.

6. Anna Mae says:

My husband and I aren’t Michigan natives (our daughter is), but we’re slowly working our way around the state. We over Seeping Bear and cherry picking is a favorite.

7. I was born in MI but moved to OK when I was 6. Lived there until I was 32. This year I will be 40. I used to miss MI when I lived in OK and we would come back to visit my family. Now that I live here I just dont think I get out and appreciate the state as much as I should.

8. Megan Elford says:

We live in Ontario, so Michigan is one of the places we’re planning on visiting when we finally get passports for the kids. I can’t wait — there’s so much history, and so many great things to see!

9. Wendy says:

Would love to be able to go cherry picking! Wish we had that here in New England. Guess we should check out Sleeping Bear too.Will just have to visit Michigan!

10. Amanda says:

I don’t know if I would call it the greatest state ever, but we always have a fun time whenever we visit. Oh and the Tim Allen commercials are the best! Pure Michigan!

11. Jeannette says:

What interesting facts about Michigan! I’ve visited there quite a few times and it’s beautiful!

12. Val says:

I didn’t know most of this info. Thanks so much for sharing why you love Michigan so much!

13. Jaime Nicole says:

That is a lot of information I definitely did not know about Michigan! It really hasn’t been on my vacation radar, but I will have to do some looking at it now. Thank you!

14. Dogvills says:

I’ve been reading a lot about Michigan and how beautiful it is. I would love to visit it one day.

OMG these really are some awesome facts! Michigan sounds like a pretty fabulous place to live 🙂

16. Echo says:

This is awesome! Visiting Michigan is definitely on my bucket list and I hope we get to cross it off soon!

17. addi ganley says:

Wow, so much about Michigan that I didn’t know. I haven’t been there yet, but there seems to be a lot to see and do. This may be a good idea for our next out of town trip.

18. Jacob Fu says:

What a great list! We haven’t explore much of Michigan at all. We’ll definitely have to make a trip up there.

19. Angie says:

Well, I can honestly say I knew none of those things about Michigan! The portable map part is pretty cool, and that beach does look amazing. I’ll definitely have to check out the beach and the museum if I’m ever in the area.

20. Jenise says:

Who’da thunk it…the most beautiful place in America? I’ve never really considered Michigan before. Perhaps it’s time to re-think. 🙂

I’ve been to the Institute of Arts. I loved it. Hubby and the second oldest were watching the Lions up the road when we went. 🙂

22. Michelle says:

I really want to visit all fifty states at some point. I’ve never been to Michigan, but now I have some great ides for what to do.

23. Michigan definitely sounds like my kind of dream holiday destination with so much to offer. Thanks for sharing.

24. Chantal says:

Woe Sleeping Bears Dune looks amazing! I have been to Michigan briefly before but mainly only for shopping, if we go back I’ll have to check out some of these great spots!

25. […] If you wanted to live in Michigan, then it’s must that you learn how to tell place by using your own hand. The upper and lower peninsula of Michigan resembles the back of your hand, hence the name “The Mitten State”. Michiganders can tell their place just by pointing at their hands. […]