December 4th, 2014 by MichiganLiving What Are the Last Things to Check before Leaving a Rented Home

With so many things demanding your attention when moving house, it can often be difficult to remember absolutely everything. When you are leaving a property for the last time, then there are a number of things which you should pay attention to and check. Since this is the last time you will be in the property as the occupant, then taking the time to check these details can prevent a great deal of difficulty in the future and can help put your mind at ease. So when you are about to leave a house for the final time, what should be going through your mind?

Rental Roofs

One of the things which is most often overlooked is taking the time to make sure that you have switched off every light, turned off every tap and secured every window. During the actual move itself, as everyone is moving boxes in and out of the home, it can be easy to forget about a tap, a light or a window left open. Depending on the date on which the next person will move in, this can have far reaching consequences and can have a leaving bills racking up as well as potentially causing bigger issues. Checking these details quickly before leaving can prevent difficulties with ease.

As well as the utilities, it can be incredibly useful to take one last walk through the home in order to ensure that you have everything with you. While everything can be packed into boxes, once these have been loaded into the removal van, taking the chance to have one last look through the home can make sure that there is nothing which is left behind which you might regret. Due to the fact that everything has been packed away, it can be easy enough to make sure that you have everything with you and a quick check in each room can highlight smaller objects which might have been overlooked during the packing process. Combining this with a check of the utilities can even help you save time.

Hiring the right professional help can mean that you are well on top of everything that happens during the move. However, one of the most important things which you can check before leaving home is that your phone has enough battery to make sure that you are always able to keep in touch. Due to the nature of modern electronic devices, it can be tough to keep everything with the right amount of charge and having the time before hand to make sure that you have the right charging cables and a place to use them ensures that you will not run into any worries if the unexpected happens during your move. With so much which you might need to pay attention to and which might need your approval or advice, having your phone charged before leaving the home means that you will not need to worry about communications when moving into the new place.

Image License: CC0 Public Domain / PIXABAY

26 responses to “What Are the Last Things to Check before Leaving a Rented Home”

1. When I moved out of one of my college apartments, I almost forgot a small towel hanging up in the bathroom! Oops.

2. Shawn Ann says:

Great tips! I’ll definitely need to remember these when we move from our condo at the end of the year.

3. Great list!! I always close off each room as we’re moving out and I’ve checked it so that I know they got a look over, then have someone else walk through and open each door back up and check it. It’s a great visual way of knowing what’s been gone through.

4. If you can afford it it is a good idea for a professional cleaner to come help clean.

5. Crystal says:

Great list! Great reminder that I need to shut my utilities off. You always have great posts!

6. Thanks for sharing! Sometimes we do get tangled up in the packing and moving process that we overlook a very important detail – turning off the utilities. This is a great reminder article for those who would be thinking of moving into their own home.

7. Great advice for renters. I am getting ready to rent my parent’s home, I hope I get renters that follow your advice.

We own a unit and rent the apartments and you’d be surprised at the state some people leave the apartments in when they leave.

9. These are great tips. These things are easy to forget, especially when you are in a hurry to move all your belongings.

10. Kam Kay says:

Moving can be a stressful time. It’s easy to forget simple things. Great reminder for people who are planning to move out of the rental properties.

11. NORAH LOVES MAKEUP says:

Back when I was renting a list like this one would have been most helpful. All the moving is already stressful and these details are important.

These are some good ideas. It’s easy to forget when your in a rush to move out. It can be stressful.

bugs! In the south you have to be sure there are not termites or other kinds of bug infestations, definitely!

When you’re packing so much stuff it’s important to triple or quadruple check the entire house. When we were moving from our old house, we almost forgot the boxes that contained the kids’ toys.

I agree with you, I remember when were movung in our own new house and it’s been a long time. I love this smart tips from you.

16. Virginia says:

Great tips! Especially as a renter! Will keep these tips in mind!

17. It’s always good to have a list to prepare yourself for the up-coming move. I cannot re-stress the “don’t leave anything behind” rule enough! I would probably leave the apartment/home completely empty.

18. Thanks so much for the great tips. I’m renting my apartment but currently looking for something a little bigger. I’ll keep your tips in mind if the time comes for me to move.

19. Maria says:

Good tips – I’m amazed that people could forget a window open, tap on or the lights on.

20. Lisa Martens says:

Great reminders. I was pretty young when I moved out my first apartment and got dinged on my deposit for not lifting the stove top up and cleaning under it. lol! I didn’t even know it lifted up or I would definitely have cleaned under it. It was the only thing they could find to charge me for. Some lessons you learn the hard way! 🙂

21. Bree says:

Great post. I’ll be sure to reference this when we move next summer!

22. Keikilani says:

This is a great post! We had no clue about all of this when we moved out of first apartment. Wish we could have had this list!

23. Becki says:

Great advice! As a property owner, we always try to check in on a property the next day or so after a tenant leaves.

24. important to know when to ask for help too! I’ve tried some home repairs that were over my head a few times and had to probably pay double to price to fix my fixes rather than just having it hired so it was done right the first time.

25. Michelle Tardiff says:

That’s some great reminders. When I left once I forgot some cleaning supplies that I had to go back for. Then I forgot some rugs. It’s hard to remember everything when moving out of a house.

26. […] Want To Move Out Of An Apartment With Ease? Try These Tips! What Are the Last Things to Check before Leaving a Rented Home […]