June 7th, 2016 by MichiganLiving 5 Kayaking Trips and Locations in Michigan That You Shouldn’t Miss!

One of the best outdoor activity you can do in Michigan is kayaking. Because of the state’s enchanting rivers and world’s famous lakes, more and more kayakers are choosing Michigan as their favorite place.

If you wanted to try and test the magic of Michigan waters, here are few locations that you should consider for a more spectacular experience.

Lake Kayaking Michigan

Kayaking the Thumb Heritage Water Trail – Port Austin, Michigan

The Tip of the Thumb Heritage Water Trail extends over 100 miles with 34 launch/landing markers. Interesting rock formations, caves and stacks can be found less than two miles east or west of Port Austin’s Veterans Waterfront Park.

Kayaking At Dusk – Ludington, Michigan

Enjoy the beauty of Ludington with evening or early morning kayaking on Hamlin Lake.

Michigan’s Land of Water – Les Cheneaux Islands, Michigan

Paddle waterways that span over 75 miles on the northern shores of Lake Huron. The Les Cheneaux Islands consists of 36 islands that offer many channels and quiet coves which are ideal for sailing and boating.

It’s Friyay!!! Where are you going paddling this weekend? #kayak #SUP #canoe #ocean #rivers #lakes #letsgo

A photo posted by ACA (@acapaddlesports) on

Kayaking around St. Ignace – St. Ignace, Michigan

With miles of shoreline close by, smooth waters, island channels, inlets, rivers and creeks, St. Ignace is a great place for serenity, athletic and adventure loving types.

A photo posted by kayak woman (@kayakwoman) on

A Summer Classic – Petoskey, Michigan

Steeped in tradition, the Petoskey Area offers visitors first-class recreation and abundant natural beauty in a variety of distinct waterfront resort communities.

Boating season is here! #lakes #CrookedLake #boating #funtime #InlandWaterway

A photo posted by @petoskeyarea on

Information source – http://www.michigan.org/kayaking/

For more Michigan kayaking tips, visit the following links:

59 responses to “5 Kayaking Trips and Locations in Michigan That You Shouldn’t Miss!”

1. Rachel Dean says:

This is a great list. The waters look calm which is important for beginners. Beautiful scenry too!

2. robin masshole mommy says:

Sounds like there is a ton of fun for kayakers in Michigan! Great list of spots.

3. Stephanie Ortez says:

Sounds like paradise! I live in VA, but kayaking in Michigan seems like a fun adventure! Turnip rock, wow! just beautiful.

4. What a great list of places to go in Michigan not very far from me at all.

5. tp keane says:

wow what an adventure. Turnip rock almost looks like a representation of Discworld. Love it.

6. Reesa Lewandowski says:

Wow these are some beautiful locations! We have kayaked a few times here in NJ where we live.

7. Jeni Hawkins says:

I really want to go to Michigan to visit a good friend! Kayaking sounds AWESOME, too! We would have a blast. I’m going to see if any of these places are near him, and bookmark this!

8. Tina says:

I understand Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the Union. Your pictures and stories exemplify this and I can understand why a person would want to visit and play in Michigan.

9. I can’t remember the last time I went kayaking. This post makes me want to grab a friend and head to Michigan to check out these gorgeous locations. They look so peaceful and serene.

I love that you wrote this blog post. We are planning to kayak this summer. It looks like so much fun. I’m really excited.

11. Chris Lewis says:

This is a great list of places that I would not have thought of when it came to kayaking. Thanks for the list!

12. Amy Jones says:

Amazing photographs, I hope to be able to visit some of this places! Kayaking is difficult for me though hahaha

13. tp keane says:

Really looks like a fantastic place to visit. I love the look of turnip island, it resembles some mythical or fantastical island in a crazy novel.

14. Heather says:

I love kayaking! When I was in college we had to do a two week outdoor excursion, and mine was kayaking. That would make an amazing vacation!

15. I am a novice kayaker. I just started last spring and I have only been on our local lake and canal system. I would love to do this, though, those land formations are fantastic.

16. these places look amazing. I’ve never been kayaking but would lvoe to try it.

17. Michele says:

The photo of turnip rock is outstanding… I love all the options you’re sharing! Thanks!

These are some awesome places! I’d love to do some kayaking at all of them. We used to kayak and canoe on some smaller rivers in mid-Michigan.

19. I have never been kayaking but my son will be trying it out this summer at camp. I will have to have him teach me a few things when he comes back – it looks like fun!

20. These are so cool, I want to go to Turnip Rock! How old do you think you need to be to kayak? I don’t think I can do it, but my hubby wants to take our sons, littlest is 6.

Oh wow! my favorite spot would be the Thumb Heritage Water Trail! What a beautiful view and the water is very clear as well. It would be nice to watch the sunset there!

22. Debra says:

Oh man, these all look so amazing! I have always wanted to go Kayaking and now I just want to go even more!

23. Bernadette Callahan says:

So much to adventure around in Michigan. Not sure when I will get there again but I do have family I will be sharing this with.

24. I really enjoy kayaking, but I have never done it is Michigan. The turnip rock looks so freaky, like it would be found on another planet.

25. The last and first time I went kayaking was in year six on a school trip which was a lot of fun. Never been to Michigan but these trails are beautiful.

26. Joanna says:

I love kayaking. I live in England by the coast and I just love to go out in the bay, where the currents are low, and just enjoy a day out on the sea. It’s a very relaxing activity.

27. NAZMA IQBAL says:

I would love to go kayaking one day ! Its a beautiful place to have a trip

28. Nicole Escat says:

Wow, Michigan sounds like a great place to stay. I would love to go Kayaking there, I hope I can be there someday.

29. Kayaking scares me. We are going to Ludington in a month. I might check it out.

30. chris says:

What a beautiful State. Lovely pictures and great advice.

31. Oh my, the views are breathtaking. I would really love to go to Michigan one day.

32. Nikki Jenner says:

I would like to see the very interesting rock formation in person. kayaking sounds so much fun!

33. Kori says:

I have yet to try kayaking but it’s something that I’ve always wanted to do. Michigan is just full of places to explore.

34. Ryan Escat says:

We have awesome rock formations in our country and it is so wonderful to see one in person. Michigan sounds a nice place.

35. Awesome list!
    I’ve kayaked in the white water rapids but never out in a brilliantly beautiful space like that. Would be awesome to do that. Time to reflect and enjoy what mother nature created

36. Rebecca Swenor says:

These are great places in Michigan to go kayaking for a Kayaking trip. Here in the U.P. of Michigan people go kayaking on the rivers and the lakes. I have never been kayaking but it is something I was going to try this summer. Thanks for sharing the locations.

37. I’ve never tried kayaking before, though I did have a chance to go boating (using an automatic boat) at the Han River in Seoul. My husband wanted to ride using a paddle boat, but I refused. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to paddle well and we’d end up sinking. Haha!

38. Teresa says:

I love kayaking! I’ve actually only done it three times, but it was so much fun. The Tip of the Thumb Heritage Water Trail looks unbelievable.

39. Wendy says:

Such beautiful photos! I’ve never been to Michigan and it is nice to “go there” with you. I used to go sea kayaking in Florida all the time, but I haven’t been in years. I need to take my boys.

40. Jenjen says:

Those were awesome list of places to visit at Michigan!

41. I’ve been kayaking in West Virginia before during a white water rafting trip and it was so fun! It’s been a few years since then though, and I remember being so sore afterwards. It’s a great workout! I would love to go do this again someday with my husband, I’m sure he’d really enjoy it.

42. Lexie Lane says:

Michigan sounds a nice place to do kayaking, I never tried doing it but I will. After all, it’s summer and I have no excuse!

43. Danne Reed says:

Kayaking sounds a great adventure, I haven’t tried it. Michigan is a very wonderful place, you will be surprised when you get there.

44. Nicole Haas Etolen says:

St. Ignace, Michigan looks like a very relaxing and peaceful place. I would love to do kayaking there.

45. Erin says:

I’ve never been kayaking but I certainly would love to! Maybe I can do it locally; though Michigan looks amazing.

46. Liz Cleland says:

These photos are fa-nominal! I went and followed the Instagram accounts. Never really heard anything about visiting Michigan but now I can see it has some awesome places my family and I would really enjoy!

47. My husband and I LOVE to go kayaking in the summer time when our son stays at his grandparents once in a while! Might have to plan a trip to go to Michigan! 🙂

48. Carolyn says:

Those pictures are breathtaking. I would love to kayak in Michigan. The scenery is so different than where I am. I have kayaked several times near Charleston, SC but it is very flat here. Lots of dolphins that I love but I would also love to see those cliffs.

49. I’ve never been been to Michigan and didn’t know about any of these places. Turnip Rock looks really cool!

50. victoria says:

Looks like I want to go in Michigan never been there and I bet that is the one Beautiful place.

51. Lexie Lane says:

I had no idea these beautiful places are just in Michigan! Wow! The sites are amazing!

52. Roxanne says:

Wow! Such amazing pictures! Will have to share with my friends and family living in Michigan!

53. Amer Phils says:

It’s nice to see the beautiful side of Michigan. Each time I go plan on vacation, and I would mention Michigan, my friends would give me like “are you crazy” look. But I don’t care what they say, your pictures look beautiful.

54. aziel morte says:

I wish I can go in Michigan this is one of the beautiful place to stay with your loved ones. love those photos

55. kayaking is in my bucket list! And this pictures make me want to do it this weekend haha

56. Kathy says:

Wow, those are such beautiful places. I have never been to Michigan before either. I would love to go to the first one. That looks extremely breathtaking!

57. We are planning on getting two kayaks! Love your pictures, so pretty!

58. Jessica says:

I’ve never been to Michigan, but these photos have put it on my bucket list! Amazing rock formations. SO pretty! Great use of photography!

59. Sandra Garth says:

We went to Ludington a very long time ago and didn’t take advantage of all the beautiful scenery. Would love to go back again!