October 7th, 2015 by MichiganLiving For The First Time Interior Designer: Newbie Mistakes You Have To Avoid

The decision to live independently and go solo is one of the hardest decisions that you ever have to make. However, there will come a point when you have to make the decision to finally spread your wings and fly. There are lots of things that you have to think about when living independently. The most important thing that you have to consider is how to design and decorate your new living space. Thinking of how you should design your new space is both exciting and terrifying. The furniture you choose and the layout you create will have a great impact on your daily living. Because of this, you have to make sure that you do everything right

If you are planning to relocate to a house for rent anytime soon, here are some of the most common newbie designer mistakes that you must avoid.

Repulsive Lighting

repulsive lighting

Many rookie designers think that overhead lighting is the only type of lighting that they can use. Because of this, you would commonly see houses that feature the repulsive golden and layered lighting that such fixture provide. As a rule of thumb, rooms must have at least three types of light sources. In addition to that, you must also vary the strength and height of the lighting fixtures in order to make your living space look more elegant and feel more inviting. This trick can make even the cheapest lighting seem a lot more luxurious.

Not ergonomic furniture

Furniture

A lot of home owners position their sofa or living room chairs either in a corner or on a wall. They do this because it has been the norm in the interior designing world, or so they thought. When arranging the layout of your living space, it is recommended that you take into consideration the different types of activities that you plan to do in that space. Think of how you do those activities in the room then arrange the furniture accordingly.

Catalogue Infatuation

Catalogue

One of your go-to interior design reference would surely be furniture catalogs. After all, they have some of the most amazing furniture layouts, right? There is nothing wrong in falling in love with a certain piece of furniture but pining after the entire layout is absurd. For your information, you will waste serious amount of money when you go after all the pieces of furniture in the catalogue. The key here is to mix and match. Buy some of the furniture featured in the catalogue then mix it with other more affordable pieces.

Wrong Artwork Positioning

artwork

When it comes to decorating with artworks, you should consider more than the color or the design of the artwork– you should also think about the height at which it should be hung. Your goal should be to hang it at eye level.

Keep the things mentioned above in mind when decorating and designing your new house for rent. By avoiding these mistakes, you will be one step closer in building a living space that ill fit both your lifestyle and your personal style.

Image License: CC0 Public Domain / Pixabay
yoosafabdulla
Unsplash
kaboompics
keresi72

44 responses to “For The First Time Interior Designer: Newbie Mistakes You Have To Avoid”

1. Elayne says:

I have never been the type to design my living space after all of these years. I think I’m gonna finally break down and hire a professional interior designer to do it for me, because when I try to duplicate what I see in the magazines it just doesn’t work. Thanks for sharing these tips.

2. These are great tips. I am not really good at decorating and I find your tips very useful.

3. Sara-Jayne says:

Those are brilliant tips – I’m a catalog reader and I always try and think what something will look like in my own home instead of that one I can see. It’s not as easy as it looks, to create a well designed space!

4. Alli says:

I always cringe when I see good artwork done wrong. Most people hang artwork way too high. Eye level is definitely the way to go.

I am definitely not a designer, but I bought what I like and I am happy where I live.

6. Michele D says:

I like to re design my home. It’s a nice feeling walking in and viewing a room differently. Love it!

7. I love decorating and designing my home, but I am not an interior designer! I totally agree that artwork positioned in the wrong spot is a big mistake!

8. Heather says:

I think bad lighting is a nightmare, can give you headaches, mess with your internal clock etc. And horrible furniture that you can’t be comfortable in is another thing that would bother me. I would want to make sure I can live in the space well.

9. All fantastic tips. One mistake I see a lot in peoples’ homes is that the artwork is not hanging at eye level. It typically tends to be hung too high.

10. Coolchillmom says:

I need all the decorating tips I can get. I love playing interior designer but I am far from it

11. Angelic Sinova says:

These are definitely some great tips! I plan on moving to LA in about a year and a half and I’ll definitely be keeping those of these tips in mind <3

12. tara pittman says:

These are great tips! I want to redo several rooms in my house.

13. These are awesome tips! I am HUGE on the artwork hanging because it goes for the TV, too! I loathe going to watch football at friends’ houses who hand the TV Over the mantle- TOO HIGH!

14. tammileetips says:

I always dread decorating a new house. I know I always try to wait a week or two to get the vibe of the house after we move in and the lighting as well.

15. I am still trying to find my “style” in decorating, so I enjoyed reading this. I think these are awesome tips for anyone who wants to make an impact in their new place.

16. Tina says:

These are terrific tips! My mother also said to “live with it” before you make changes. I’ve lived with the same carpet (that I chose) for 8 years and it is definitely time to make a change!

Such an amazing tips! I could use some tips when I need to reconstruct my home.

18. These are great tips. I am still decorating my house from when we moved in late Feb. It is definitely a slow process as I can’t make up my mind!

19. Thanks for the tips, I do my best but always need help. Am re-doing my bedroom so I’m glad I read this!

I will definitely take note of these, in case my daughters would need them. It’s tough to live alone but it will feel a bit lighter to have space that looks beautiful.

This is really helpful. I’d love to focus more on natural lighting than overhead lighting. Having some well-placed windows would be sweet.

22. Great tips, thank you! This is an area where I can use as much help and advice as possible! LOL I’m horrible at interior design. 🙁

23. These tips would come in handy to non-designers like me who loves decorating. We personally decorated our home and we’re happy with it.

24. victoria says:

These are great tips. I’m not good at designing our house but i love to decorate and find my own styles.

25. these are some awesome tips…but sometimes you’ve gotta learn from your mistakes. Decorating is more like a trial and error.

26. Kayla says:

Oh you are so right! Especially about the repulsive lighting! There’s nothing I dislike more! Thanks for the tips!

27. Eileen says:

I dislike furniture, especially chairs that are not comfortable to sit in. My hubby had hip replacement surgery and we had to re-arrange furniture in the house so he has more room to move. The couch had to be re-done (re-upholstered) so it would be comfortable for him.

28. Franc Ramon says:

These mistakes does seem odd when you get to see it longer. It really helps to avoid this mistakes, which only happens with experience.

29. Good tips! For me, a big design mistake is painting walls with very dark colors. I think lighter colors help make the room look larger and brighter, and a person can always add things to the room in darker colors afterwards.

30. These are really great tips. My ex husband and I would argue about the way he hung pictures. He’d hang them so high up, and they weren’t eye level for anyone but a giant.

31. sojourner says:

These are great tips. I love looking at catalogues for individual pieces. My husband obsesses over the exact layout and will try to buy every piece featured exactly as is. He loves sets. Drives me crazy. I’m going to share this with him and hopefully put an end to the madness!

32. Brittany says:

I can really appreciate this article since I am a wanna be decorator or maybe a decorator in training. Great tip about hanging art work at eye level.

33. These are all fantastic tips as someone who definitely does not have a talent for interior design I am storing it in my mental cabinet and saving it for later. Who said you had to be practical? If only it was that easy!

34. Jennifer says:

My husband finally agreed that we can get an interior designer once we buy a house! I cannot wait and will definitely avoid these mistakes

Bad lighting is the worst. My son and his wife have bad lighting and it’s hard to study, write, take pics, etc. They’re always grumping about it and I do see why.

36. Becka says:

These are awesome tips and examples. I am working on redecorating our house slowly and they will come in handy. I am bad about the magazine thing and wanting that look even though I know it won’t work in my space.

37. Carrie says:

you really have an eye behind the camera. Your images speak volumes. thank you for sharing

38. Becki says:

I’ve always been one to surround myself with the things I like, or things with great memories attached. I don’t know how it looks to the outside, but it’s cozy for me 🙂

39. These are great tips! We are going to start hanging artwork soon and I will keep that in mind!

40. Lisa Martens says:

These are all great tips. I especially appreciate the one about proper placement of art. It’s one of the first things I notice when I go to someone’s home if they’ve hung it too high. The good thing is, it’s also one of the easiest and most inexpensive things to correct. Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

41. ha ha – nice things to make sure to avoid! You always have simple points that so many of us don’t think about posted in your blog. Thanks for another round of great tips!

42. dana vento says:

After a third home purchase, we got it all right and I don’t do lighting until the room is complete

Great tips. I know I made a lot of mistakes the first time I designed my own living space. I think back and wonder, what was I thinking.

44. Rachel says:

Great tips. Lighting can definitely make a difference in the tone and mood of the room.