December 14th, 2015 by MichiganLiving Home Improvement Tips To Make Your Home Energy Efficient

Making our home energy efficient doesn’t only save us good amount of money, it also adds great value for our property. If ever you are planning a home improvement sooner or later, make sure to consider these tips that could help in making your house more energy efficient.

Spacious Living Room

You can’t improve the things that you can’t measure. So before applying these tips, ask a professional to inspect your home and do an energy audit. From this audit, you’ll be able to determine the areas that need improvement and attention.

Identify and seal leaks.

Sealing the leak that allow cold or hot air slip in and out of the house is a good first step to make the home more energy efficient. Seal the leaks usually found on windows, doors and other areas that allows outside weather or air to slip inside your home.

Insulate.

Add insulation at your home. If house is already insulated, check the insulation if it’s still performing the way it should be. If not, change or replace it.

Replace windows with energy-efficient ones.

If sealing and insulating the windows won’t work, replacing it is the last resort. Replacing the windows with high-efficiency models not only upgrades your home’s physical value. It also makes it more energy efficient than before.

Replace doors with energy-efficient ones.

Just like with the windows, if insulation and sealing fails, replace it.

Replace old equipment with energy efficient heating, ventilating, and air conditioning units.

Buying and using more energy-efficient equipment can significantly lower your monthly energy bills. Although it might cost you a good amount of cash (buying equipments), it can surely save you a lot in the long run. But before jumping into this, make sure that you’ve done everything above this tip.

Making the home more energy efficient certainly offers lots of benefits. It can help save a lot of money, upgrade value of the property and most important of all, makes the home more earth friendly.

52 responses to “Home Improvement Tips To Make Your Home Energy Efficient”

We are definitely not energy efficient in our house. We need to be better.

2. We try our best to save energy at home. These are all important things to do to make your home energy efficient.

3. Jeanette says:

We are in the process of changing things out. We need to get new windows and doors so we are saving for those right now.

4. Teresa says:

We just recently redid our bedroom and I am looking for energy efficient items!

5. Wonderful tips. We have a very old home, and it is very drafty. We are always looking for ways to make it more energy efficient and cut down on our heating costs. Thanks!

What a wonderful tips, I love changing and improvement of our house.

These are going to help a lot this winter. It would be really nice to be able to replace all the windows within the next couple of years.

8. I’m semi energy efficient here. There are things you’ve recommended that I can do to improve that and I will.

9. Working on this now. Weather is good so far. Glad I have an extension with our unseasonably warm weather.

Thanks! Those are definitely useful. Too much energy consumption doesn’t only result in a higher electric bill, it could also be dangerous. Thanks for sharing these tips.

11. victoria says:

Such a useful post. I need changing in our house. Thanks for the tips

12. Miles L. says:

I agree. You can’t improve something you can’t measure. I always struggle in conserving energy in our house.

13. Wow, I never thought of doing some of these things. We are planning on relocating, so once we do I am surely gonna take these steps.

14. Aprill says:

Thanks for the useful tips!

15. The best energy efficient thing we did this year was upgrade to a wifi enabled thermostat. Our energy costs went down almost $100 a month this past summer. I was amazed.

16. We need new doors and windows. Our current ones are old and not sealed anymore.

17. Angie says:

Great tips! My house has such bad windows, I can’t wait for them to get replaced next year. Gotta have that tax return lol.

18. Ashley says:

Our master bedroom is the worst about being energy efficient. It’s situated over the garage and it’s either blazing hot in summer or freezing cold in winter. We need better insulation or something!

19. Ann Bacciaglia says:

We just replaced a few of our larger windows this year. I am looking forward to see what kind of savings we will have with the change.

20. ashleigh says:

These are really great tips. I agree that finding and sealing leaks is a good idea.

21. Melissa says:

These are great tips for homeowners to not only keep the cold out but also save some money. Insulation is very important and often overlooked.

22. Michele D says:

Living here in Florida, residents can use all the help they can get to cut the cost. Home improvements are very important for homeowners.

23. April Mims says:

Very helpful information! Our house could definitely use some energy efficiency upgrades.

24. Dawn says:

Energy-efficient windows really do help. We have those windows in our current home and it helps keep our home so much warmer in the winter!

25. ricci says:

Insulation is key to home efficiency!! I built my home a few years ago and it’s retry energy efficient and I love it!!

26. These are great tips for homeowners. It is really surprising how much energy you actually lose through your windows!

27. Janet H. says:

What a great post with wonderful tips! I agreed the importance of making home energy efficient as one can benefit this in the long term 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

28. Lynndee says:

These are such great tips. We bought us new air-conditioners this year because the new ones are definitely energy efficient.

29. tina says:

Thanks so much for this article. We have a lake house that was built in the 70’s and is definitely not energy efficient. This will help us when we start renovating.

30. Bonnie @wemake7 says:

Thank you for these wonderful tips. I will be sure to try some of these.

31. My husband is big on this so he always checks around the house to see how he can improve. At least now I know what he means when he talks about this.

32. adriana says:

Your living room is so pretty! These are great tips, I love this!
    Xo Adriana – Daily Dose of Design

33. We do our very best to stay efficient and have switched out a lot of appliances.

34. Maria says:

Very nice living room space! Yes windows and doors are important to help keep the home energy-efficient.

These are some Great tips! I wil have to share these with hubby because I have no clue if our home is energy efficient

36. My home is new so pretty energy efficient.

37. When we moved into our home, we made sure it was completely energy efficient. All of these tips were on our list! I love this living room by the way. It looks like the set of Modern Family!!

38. Amanda says:

I was just telling my husband about all of this. We need to change out the padding around our doors, recaulk windows and a few of these tips you shared. Honey do!

39. Tonya C says:

We are most definitely energy efficient in our house, these are great tips though! Thank you for sharing 🙂

40. Jeni Hawkins says:

I never would have thought to replace my doors! I didn’t know there were energy efficient DOORS! Thanks for the great tips!

41. This post is very helpful! We’re in the process of improving our home to energy efficient but we still have a long way to go.

42. Katarina says:

Those are great tips! We always forget to take care of everything in our homes so it’s really handy when you have a check list of things to-do.

43. MyTeenGuide says:

These are very helpful tips. With the high electricity rates, we should all do our best to lower it down.

44. Our home is 15 years old now and starting to show some wear. We need to replace a few things to be more energy efficient.

45. Jacqui Odell says:

We need to replace our windows. This house is pretty chilly right now.

We could use some energy efficient doors. I’d like to see some solar panels in the house too.

47. Kristen says:

Being energy efficient is super important in Michigan.

48. These are great tips. I grew up in Michigan and this was a priority in our house. My mom was all over it!

49. I definitely need to get the windows looked at in our house. I can tell there are a few that have some leaks. Great tips, I had no idea there was such a thing as energy efficient windows.

50. We are trying to be energy efficient and we just found out that we have to repalce our a/c unit.

51. A GEEK DADDY says:

I wanted to get an instant hot water heater for our house but the upfront cost versus convenience and money savings on monthly bills just didn’t make it a smart money move for us. So important to make sure that a home improvement is right for your particular situation. Trying to be energy efficient overall is a smart move as it can lower your electric bills and overall is just a good thing to do for the environment.